News & Recent Projects

Become an Owner-Builder in Victoria

  22 June 2016

Are you planning on managing the installation of your steel building kit from THE Shed Company? If in Victoria, make sure you investigate whether you must have an owner-builder license.

To become an owner-builder in the state of Victoria you will need to apply for a permit under the Victorian Building Authority. The permit can only be applied for once you have completed your Owner-Builder course.

What is an Owner-Builder in Victoria?

If you are thinking about completing building work for a new steel shed, garage or kit home on your own property in Victoria you may need an owner builder permit. Having an owner-builder license allows you personally perform the construction work and take on the role of Head Contractor on the building project on your property.

For work over $12,000 (total market value) that does not require developmental consent, the Victorian Building Authority will usually issue an owner-builder permit.

The owner-builder license relates specifically to domestic building work. Typical domestic work includes:

  • Build a new home and any associated work such as landscaping, retaining walls, garages, carports, swimming pools.
  • The renovation, alteration, improvement or repair of a home.

You are not permitted to complete some project tasks

Having an owner-builder permit does not automatically allowed you to take care of all tasks within your project build. Some of the restricted tasks include:

  • Renovations to an existing apartment/unit/flat/townhouse within a strata complex
  • Property not for residential purposes
  • Specialist work such as plumbing, gas fitting, air-conditioning, electrical
  • Any work other than the project covered by the development application or complying development certificate 

For these aspects of your build you will need to either engage a certified local tradesman or builder, or have these specific qualifications yourself (in addition to the owner-builder license).

How do I become an Owner Builder?

Fill out the application form with all supporting documents, including the signed completion of your Owner Builder Course. You will be required to pay an application fee before sending this off. The application process will usually take around 4 weeks.

For more in-depth information about owner-building visit

Please note – this information was accurate at the time of publishing. Please consult the Victorian Building Authority for up to date information and requirements.

Disclaimer: Information is correct as at time of publishing. For the latest information please contact us.

Share   Facebook   Twitter

You May Also Like



Our customer Tony needed a double garage and carport for the new cars he and his wife just bought. "We were going to get an awning but when we saw what THE Shed Company could do we decided to go for the double garage" said Tony. ...

Why choose THE Shed Company? image

Why choose THE Shed Company?

Do you need a shed, garage, carport, patio or even a family home? We have the solution for you!

At THE Shed Company, we pride ourselves on providing premium quality steel buildings that are custom designed to complement and enhance your lifestyle. ...